June 17, 2020
Mother Nature’s Prebiotic: 2-Fucosyllactose
We’ve all heard the saying that all disease begins in the gut — while we know that supporting a healthy digestive system is a key part of achieving better health, we often limit ourselves to only taking a probiotic supplement. But here’s the thing. While probiotics help to increase the proportion of healthy bacteria in our gut, supporting digestive health goes beyond just supplementing with a high-quality probiotic.
From consuming a whole foods diet to regular exercise and stress reduction, there’s another less commonly talked about key player.
We’re talking about HMOs and 2-Fucosyllactose (2-FL), prebiotics that help feed those healthy bacteria in the gut.
Read on as we dive deeper into what these are and what role they play in supporting digestive function.
What Are HMOs?
HMOs or human milk oligosaccharides, are most commonly known for being found in breastmilk, and they play an essential role in supporting an infant's immune system early on in life. They are prebiotics that help build a healthy microbiome (a key player in building a strong immune system).
HMOs, help feed the beneficial bacteria found in the gut. This is important for more than one reason. Not only do human milk oligosaccharides help build a healthy microbiome, but with nearly 70% of the immune system residing in the gut, HMOs do double duty by also doing their part in supporting a robust immune system.
What You Need to Know About 2-Fucosyllactose
There are more than 100 different kinds of HMOs, but we’re going to focus on 2-Fucosyllactose, a powerful prebiotic that holds numerous health benefits.
Studies have shown that this particular type of HMO helps boost a beneficial bacteria called Bifidobacteria in the gut as well as giving a boost to those friendly bacteria we want more of in our intestine.
The Benefits of Supplementing With 2-Fucosyllactose
With all the research backing how beneficial the HMO 2-Fucosyllactose, found in human breast milk can be for infants, studies have also indicated that supplementation in adults holds impressive health benefits.
Just like how HMOs in breastmilk have been shown to boost Bifidobacteria in infants, a study found that adults supplementing with HMOs can help support the growth of this same beneficial bacteria.
This is important because Bifidobacteria has been shown to help:
- Reduce inflammation related to certain inflammatory conditions such as ulcerative colitis and psoriasis.
- Relieve symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- Benefit those with metabolic syndrome by reducing inflammatory markers and blood lipid levels.
One of the most well-researched and impressive benefits of 2-Fucosyllactose supplementation is the reduction in inflammatory markers in those with inflammatory gastrointestinal conditions.
Animal studies have shown 2-Fucosyllactose to be beneficial for reducing inflammation in the colon, as well as a reduction in diarrhea, and intestinal permeability (also known as leaky gut).
Research has also been promising for 2-Fucosyllactose supplementation in supporting adults with dysbiosis (imbalanced gut bacteria). This makes sense since this supplement acts as a prebiotic to help feed the beneficial bacteria in the gut while also boosting Bifidobacteria.
Lastly, we touched on the importance of supporting a healthy gut to help build a strong immune system, so it makes sense that HMOs would help build a strong immune system as well. Studies have shown that the HMOs in breastmilk help protect babies from microbial infection due to the support it provides the gut as well as supporting cell-to-cell signaling. Studies like this show that supplementing with 2-Fucosyllactose may be an excellent way to safeguard our health, especially during cold and flu season.
How to Supplement with 2-Fucosyllactose
As with any supplement you choose to take, quality is king. You’ll want to opt for a product that is of the highest quality possible to gain the best benefit. Here at Newtrition, we are excited about the release of our latest product, DIGEST2FL, pure 2-Fucosyllactose, to help you take one step further in supporting the health of your gut.
Because at the end of the day, the saying that disease begins in the gut still rings true today. We cannot achieve optimal health until we support a healthy digestive system.
So, if you are looking to feed those healthy bacteria in your gut with a powerful prebiotic, consider DIGEST2FL. It may be the gamechanger you need to take your gut health to the next level.
And don’t worry, DIGEST2FL isn’t made from human breast milk. Our product is made via fermentation and is identical to 2-Fucosyllactose produced by mothers. You can expect a supplement that is safe for the whole family.
In Addition to DIGEST2FL, Consider These Gut-Boosting Hacks
In addition to supplementing with DIGEST2FL, here are a handful of other ways you can give your gut the support it needs to not only keep your digestive system running smoothly but your immune system strong as well.
- Consume probiotic-rich foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, kombucha.
- Reduce stress — Stress can wreak havoc on your health, including your gut, so make it a habit to practice stress-reduction daily, even if it’s just 5 minutes of meditation.
- Exercise regularly! Exercise has been shown to help boost the beneficial bacteria in the gut. Plus, exercise can help reduce stress, providing double the benefit when it comes to digestive function!
- Get enough sleep — Researchers have found that it’s when we get quality, deep sleep, our brain “takes out the trash.” This ties back to gut health, all thanks to the powerful gut-brain connection. This one particular study indicated that poor sleep may negatively impact the diversity of the bacteria in the microbiome and overall gut health. Therefore, improving sleep habits is going to affect all aspects of health, including our gut and our brain. The bottom line here is to make quality sleep a priority by striving for at least 7-9 hours per night.